Regular WhatsApp users know how strict the app’s policies can be. You can’t make an account without verifying your phone number. Plus, privacy and chat encryption is also a huge deal for the company.
Giving your personal phone number does raise alarm bells in many people’s minds, and most are not comfortable with it.
Have you ever wished you could use WhatsApp without a phone number or SIM card? I am sure you must have! I would never have imagined this as a possibility a few years ago. But times are changing. And with these changing times comes changing technology.
So it is safe to say that you can now use WhatsApp without your phone number. Unbelievable, right? Read on and learn how to use WhatsApp without a phone number!
Without much further ado, let us jump right in!
Table of contents
Can You Use WhatsApp Without a Phone?
To answer this question in short, no. Having a number is essential to use WhatsApp on Android, iOS, or Windows Phone. Plus, you need a stable internet connection and the WhatsApp Messenger app on a functional device.
You will have to provide your phone number while creating your WhatsApp account. Once this is done, a one-time password or verification code will be generated and sent to the registered number. That’s where you need to be careful.
As mentioned earlier, entering a number is necessary. But it doesn’t have to be your personal contact information. You can either give a landline or a virtual number.
By doing this, you can access WhatsApp without really giving your contact details. Read the following section in detail to learn more about how to use WhatsApp without a phone number.
How to Use WhatsApp Without a Phone Number?
You now know that verifying your WhatsApp account with a number is necessary. This creates a very tricky situation for those who don’t want to share their phone number or already have another WhatsApp account with that number.
But sit tight! There’s still a chance for you to use WhatsApp without a number. Let’s look at how this is possible.
Use TextNow to Verify WhatsApp
You can use TextNow to verify WhatsApp. But for that, you need to first download either TextNow or TextFree. These apps give you a unique phone number to enter into WhatsApp and verify your account. Given below are the steps on how to get a new TextNow number:
- Download the TextNow app via Google Play Store, iTunes App Store, or Windows App Store.
- Open the app, and complete the registration by clicking on ‘Get My Free Number.’
- Choose an area code and select a number from the list of options. Write down the phone number somewhere, so you don’t forget it.
- Next, open WhatsApp. You can do this on your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Check the terms and conditions and proceed forward.
- Next, confirm your country code and add the TextNow number on WhatsApp.
- Opt for SMS verification and wait for five minutes.
- WhatsApp will say, ‘SMS verification failed. Please try voice verification.’
- Select ‘Call Me’ to receive a call from WhatsApp.
- Open the TextNow app to receive the call. Note down the code you receive on call.
- Enter this code on WhatsApp to complete the process.
Use Google Voice Number to Verify WhatsApp
Now that you know how to use TextNow for WhatsApp verification, let’s see what Google Voice Number is all about.
It’s actually an excellent option for those with an Android phone living in the United States or Canada. You can send or receive text messages, even WhatsApp codes, through Google Voice Number. Read on to see how it works.
- Download the Google Voice app on your Android device and register using your Google account.
- Start the Google Voice app and go to ‘Settings.’
- Go to the ‘Calls’ section, and tap on ‘Calls started from this device’s phone app.’
- You’ll get two choices: ‘Yes (all calls)’ or ‘Yes (international calls only).’ Click on either one of these options.
- Your devices’ numbers should be listed in the ‘All linked numbers’ list. If not, go to Settings, then ‘Linked Numbers,’ then ‘This device’s number.’ Click on it to link all numbers.
- Next, tap on Settings, then Calls > Incoming Calls > My Devices.
- Select your desired device. This way, you’ll receive calls on your chosen linked device. You now have a working Google Voice number.
- Open your WhatsApp, enter the Google Voice number and verify it through SMS. This will activate your WhatsApp account without you having to provide a personal phone number.
Use Landline Number to Verify WhatsApp
Remember, a personal phone number is not the only contact detail you have at your disposal.
Although landline numbers might sound archaic, they still work just as well. So use them instead. It’s great if you already have a landline; if not, buy one. It’ll make your life easy and you won’t have to give your personal phone details wherever you go.
The steps below give a detailed account of how to use a landline number to enjoy WhatsApp. Let’s have a look:
- Download WhatsApp on your smartphone, PC or tablet. Open it and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Next up, choose your country code, and enter your landline number.
- Click on the SMS verification option. SMS verification will fail after 5 minutes.
- Then click on the Call Me option.
- You’ll receive an automated call from WhatsApp on your landline number delivering your verification code. Don’t forget to write down this code.
- Open WhatsApp again and enter the code into the box. The code will be instantly activated.
- Finish your registration and enjoy using WhatsApp without a personal phone number.
Keep Your Details Private
Privacy concerns are one of the biggest reasons people are hesitant to add their own numbers to WhatsApp. If that’s also your concern, use one of the methods mentioned above to use WhatsApp without a phone number.
We hope these methods work for you so you can start using WhatsApp without issues. If not, try using an old number you don’t use anymore. You can even buy a new, separate SIM card solely for WhatsApp.
Just make sure to do whatever you’re comfortable with. Good luck!